Then:

Now:

When NBC made their big late night transition, moving Leno to 10, Conan to 11:35 and Fallon to 12:30, it seemed an existential crisis was in order for Carson Daly and crew. Last Call With Carson Daly, Daly's attempt at a studio talk show, was in poor shape. Having appeared in the 1:30 spot after Conan since 2002, the half-hour show never failed to emit the feel of an awkwardly painful, 3rd rate talk show. The problem wasn't just that Daly wasn't a comedian and had trouble managing a studio audience; the bigger issue seemed to be that the show didn't offer any unique reason to tune in.
So, in the midst of this line up shake-up, Carson & gang decided to take a week, hit the road and film some travel segments outside the studio while on a cross country extravaganza through various American cities. Though this period sometimes took on the look and feel of a Coke commercial targeting young 20 somethings enhanced by the annoyingly reflective narration of Daly, it was evident that this new format might signal an interesting evolutionary step in the right direction for the show. Could this be the key to harnessing Daly's inexplicable and hard to pin down calm charisma that made watching late 90's pop music videos somehow easy to digest?
Smartly, they quickly realized that their old format would not hold water in this new, jazzed up era of NBC late night. Instead, they decided to embrace their inability to draw substantial talent by introducing newer, "undiscovered" acts to a television audience that wouldn't normally have the chance at this stage in their career, if at all.
And, since shedding the need for a studio audience, the show has become mobile, allowing for intimate--and many times, insightful--interviews. Carson may not be the best interviewer in the game, but he is an excellent converser, and can bring the interviewees down to a level of open casualness that isn't possible in front of a live audience. In this sense, Daly's lack of knowing, comic wit, which propels shows like Conan's, is his greatest advantage. He gives the sense that him & the guest are hanging at a bar, talking over a beer, which many times, they are.
The show also features a strong focus on music, which is where Carson is in his element. Not only is the show able to film bands as they perform for their own fans in venues around LA, but the edited segments feature some of the best, coolest music that can be heard on TV (a whole lot cooler than MTV). I've found that one of the draws of considering Carson Daly's musical taste is that it isn't grounded in whether or not the music is hip, but whether or not the music is actually any good.
But, perhaps the coolest aspect of the new and improved Last Call with Carson Daly, is that it's become the first late night show I can think of where the audience can learn about things they wouldn't have otherwise discovered, rather than being presented with a continual stream of guests merely pedaling their media product du jour (French for, "of the day"). The guests on Last Call feel more like subjects the show has chosen to cover rather than talent ordered by the network to have on, which, assumedly, is the freedom that comes with having an undesirable 1:30am slot. "Check this out" is something Daly often says before cutting to a segment, and that's exactly how it feels: a small group of people making a show composed of things they think are cool or interesting, and they are excited to show it to you and hear what you think. It's a strangely humbling goal in this day and age of television.
The show can still suffer from editing overkill, looking like a film school student's interpretation of an MTV show. But hey, it's on NBC, not MTV. And again, at 1:30 in the morning. It's all part of the aforementioned humble-factor. I'll put it this way: it could be a whole lot worse. Let them experiment. I'm all for it. Good job, Carson & crew, it's working.
share on: facebook

I agree, I love Carson's new format and that he can focus on music and hang out with people he's interviewing.
ReplyDeleteI would also have to agree. The show is a lot more focused now and it seems much more natural.
ReplyDeleteIt's funny, I blogged about Last Call's potential exactly one year ago today: http://kindoflovely.blogspot.com/2008/12/last-call.html
:)
Thank you Mike! Carson and all of us at the show appreciate your words. You totally nailed it! Great to see that someone gets it!
ReplyDeleteDiana
Diana Miller
Sr Talent Executive
Last Call with Carson Daly
ilistentoeverything.com
Look, I've been as hard on the show as anyone else in the blogosphere. I have checked in on and off over the past few months. There has been some improvement, for sure. I do like the music focus and the fact that nontraditional talent is getting a shot. I think a continued focus on that, the people who aren't on Jimmy and Conan's radar, is a good thing.
ReplyDeleteThe over-editing thing is way over the top. At that time of night no one wants to be hit with that much.
Love the new format. It plays to Carson's strengths as an interviewer but mainly as a guide to intersting new (or less known) artists. He's like a bartender showing off some tasty cocktails in your favorite dive bar.
ReplyDeleteI've been watching last call since a little after it came on, I love the new format. The editing thing can be a bit too much at times, but whatever. It's a good show.
ReplyDeleteHey Mike! I actually started watching Carson over the last few months and I couldn't agree with you more. It was really cool because I actually got to follow a lot of the bands I've seen on the show, here at SXSW.
ReplyDeleteI was actually looking up a band on the Late Show website when I stumbled upon your blog post. Looks like you've got a pretty awesome thing going here. Anyway, I was pretty surprised when I saw your name on the website, so I thought I'd say waht's up. Glad to see your doing well.
Mike
Thank you Mike! Carson and all of us at the show appreciate your words. You totally nailed it! Great to see that someone gets it! Cheap Minnesota Twins Tickets
ReplyDeleteThank you Mike! Carson and all of us at the show appreciate your words. You totally nailed it! Great to see that someone gets it!
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree more. I actually like watching the show when before it just made you feel bad for Carson. Never in a million years did I think the show was going to progress into something that I would actually appreciate. Great change of format and I look forward to catching it when I can.
ReplyDeleteI think a continued focus on that, the people who aren't on Jimmy and Conan's radar, is a good thing.
ReplyDeleteI was pretty surprised when I saw your name on the website, so I thought I'd say waht's up. Glad to see your doing well.
ReplyDeleteI think the show was going to progress into something that I would actually appreciate. Great change of format and I look forward to catching it when I can.
ReplyDeleteI love the format and actually as a video editor/videographer I watch the show for the editing. Even though it may be a bit much I find it is paced at the right times and I learn new tricks, editing techniques I try to learn on my own. I think this is the best entertainment show on tv today.
ReplyDeleteI think the editing is fantastic - going with what Anonymous said above me, I'm also a Video Editor and I love the way they put things together. That's actually how I found your blog post. I typed int Carson Daly Video Editor, but didn't find what I was looking for to be honest. Maybe I'll find him in the credits and look his name up.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete